Monday, June 8, 2015

Binge Watch: Marvel's Agent Carter Season 1




When Marvel's Agent Carter premiered in January of this year, I wasn't that interested in it. I was hesitant to add yet another show into my viewing schedule, especially since I wasn't a huge fan of the first Captain America movie, but after hearing it as Glenn Weldon's "What's Making Us Happy" pick on NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast  I decided that I would give it 3 episodes and then make a decision.

These are not episode summaries or reviews and there are no real spoilers.

Episode 1: First impression

I can already tell that the fashion is going to be a big part of the show. Ever since Mad Men I feel like there's this push to highly stylize any "period/historical" tv shows. Which makes to beautiful cos-plays at fan conventions. I was surprised to see Chad Michael Murray in the show but since he's very easy on my eyes I won't complain.

I'm not 100% sure that I love the show yet but it's smart and funny so I clear my schedule and hit play on the next episode.

Episode 2: Second bite.

The Captain America radio show clips are hilarious! The way they show how they do the foley/sound effects makes me think about Monty Python and the horses/coconuts. We're deeper into the story now and I'm digging the feminist-vibe that Peggy gives. Historically this time period is blatantly sexist and the show doesn't hide that fact but Agent Carter's ability to manipulate her way around the people in her life feels somehow both pro and anti-feminist. Plus Peggy gives great Resting Bitch Face (RBF).

Episode 3: Decison time.

After another solid episode I'm wanting to watch more so I decide to commit and download the entire season. Since there are only 8 episodes I'm basically halfway done with this season. I hunker down and watch the last 5 in two days. The show entertains and amuses me and I find myself going into a British accent after watching it.

I'm glad that it's been renewed for a second season but, second season's can be hard for hit shows. Glee, Heroes, American Idol are all examples of the "sophomore slump". And those shows never really recovered from their mediocre 2nd seasons.

Agent Carter seem to have the upper hand in that it was an extremely short first season, so viewer fatigue should be minimal and the Marvel studio machine is still doing a full court press in growing the Avengers franchise. Also, there's plenty more story for Agent Carter to tell in terms of establishing S.H.I.E.L.D. and HYDRA so hopefully we'll get more of this smart, funny, lighthearted show and it won't become something else I have to "get through" when I watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment