Wednesday, January 26, 2011

did anyone else watch the President's State of the Union address last night? I caught it at work today and I have to admit something here: I don't get his salmon joke. The food blogs I read were all a buzz with "the salmon joke" and after watching the address in its entirety I still don't get it. Is "smoked" code for something? <confusion>


But President Obama's words did mean something to me. While there were times I was cynical and snarky (like when I saw the look on the speaker of the house when the President brought up his health care reform) or vapid and shallow (like when I noticed how long everyone's ties were) I still managed to get something out of the speech.

I do think that America needs to look into a sustainable energy plan. I'm all for solar/wind/wave power and I agree that we need to invest time and money towards research in those fields. I was less interested in the infrastructure of our roadways/ high speed rail that President Obama mentioned. But that's probably because I live in Hawaii and wouldn't see much (if any) benefit from those improvements.

I was listening to a "This American Life" podcast the other day and they had a young girl (about 14) as a guest who was very politically minded. She didn't believe in the global warming. I was stunned. But I suppose I understand... she has the right to her opinions (even though I personally feel she's wrong) (and kinda dumb) (sorry). but it got me thinking... what do I believe?

I apologize for the lack of eloquence in this blog post. If it comes across and disjointed and disorganized it's probably because I'm not entirely sure what I believe.... maybe I'll let this sit and ferment in my brain for a while and come back to it after I've really given it some time and thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment