Wednesday, January 12, 2011

thoughts from under my umbrella...ella ella ella (eh eh eh)

I had to make a decision today... should I use my cute (but small) gray cheetah print umbrella or my larger (but less cute) green Hotel Peninsula one. I actually thought about this for a few minutes sitting in my car and looking out at the cloudy sky. I decided that since I work in an air-conditioned office it would really ruin my day and make me grumpy (not to mention probably get me sick) to sit there cold and wet because I wanted to look cute for the 10 min it takes me to walk to my office.

There were all kinds of people with their umbrellas out this morning. And the umbrellas were as varied as the people. Small basic black umbrellas seem to dominate, although several people were seen with those huge aerodynamic umbrellas (the ones with two tiers and slits to let the wind through). The people holding these monstrosities tended to be older women (in their 40s-50s.) I saw a father holding an umbrella over his head while his son wore an orange raincoat and went umbrella less.

But what stuck me was a girl who wore stilettos and had a tiny red umbrella. I couldn't understand how she could mange. What with the rain and the heels and the mini umbrella. I realized then what my main problem is: I will always want to be that girl, but will never be able to manage it. I suppose it's because I'm a control freak, and I need to feel like I have things in order for me to cope with things.

Maybe if I could just learn to let go a little... be more laid back. Like a surfer girl who doesn't worry about getting her driver's side chair wet. But so far no luck. My nature is to worry and try to plan for certain things. And that's not so bad I suppose; preparation goes a long way in paving the road to success.

No comments:

Post a Comment